We want our teeth healthy and sturdy throughout the course of our life. And, maintaining good oral health means maintaining overall health too. This is where Preventive Dentistry comes. They are the key to keeping the teeth, mouth, and gums in very good condition.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive Dentistry is dental care that is performed to maintain your oral health. It usually includes regular dental checkups and developing good oral habits like brushing and flossing. It starts early in childhood and extends throughout the course of your life.
The preventive dental services provided by dentists are teeth cleaning, fluoride treatment, and X-Rays.
Role of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dental care first starts with you. When you develop dental habits early in your life, you tend to reduce the risk of cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis. The basics of good oral health are:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day, i.e., in the morning and in the night. It is always recommended to use a soft bristle brush or fluoride toothpaste.
- After flossing, rinse your mouth with a mouthwash.
- Avoid those foods that are harmful to the teeth.
- Limit the intake of candies, food with bones, seeds, or pits that can severely damage and chip your teeth.
- Avoid smoking or consuming tobacco as they can be the reason for oral cancer and other dental problems.
- Always wear a mouth guard to avoid injury during sports.
- Use a nightguard if you grind or clench your teeth at night.
Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry provides the following benefits:
- Decreases the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental problems.
- Helps you to maintain good oral hygiene like brushing and flossing the teeth regularly.
- It reduces the additional cost you have to give for treatment.
- Enables the dentist to examine the mouth, jaw, neck, etc., and other related problems.
- Reduces concerns related to other chronic medical conditions.
Preventive dentistry is less expensive and is one of the most important parts of dental care. Therefore, it is advisable to get your dental check-up done every twice a year.
We offer expert preventive dentistry services by our experienced dentist Dr.Edward Shluper, DDS, for you and your loved ones. For more details and appointments, call us at (973) 743-5432, book online, or visit us at 115 US Highway 46, Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046, Building E, Ste. 33.