Lumineers are thin, custom-made veneers that are bonded to the front of your teeth. When bonded, lumineers are essentially undetectable and are only 0.2 millimeters thick. Lumineers are extremely strong and can be made from porcelain or from resin composite materials.
Because they are so thin, they often require little to no preparation of the natural tooth or shaving down of your teeth beforehand for placement. Lumineers do require a small amount of enamel to be taken off; however, the process is much gentler than a traditional veneer process. Lumineers are a good option for fixing stained, chipped, or misshapen teeth. They are also ideal for closing small gaps between teeth.
What are Lumineer Benefits?
In general, Lumineers are a great option for patients seeking a less invasive cosmetic dentistry procedure with fewer risks and side effects. They are typically made of porcelain or tooth-colored material and do not require extensive shaping or grinding beforehand.
Lumineers typically require little to no removal of healthy tooth material compared to the traditional method, which involves the removal of a significant amount of tooth material. This typically means less discomfort and a shorter recovery time.
Here are the major advantages offered by lumineers:
- Many patients prefer lumineers because they do not require any grinding or shaving of tooth enamel before placement. The dentist will simply apply resin to the surface of the tooth and bond the lumineers in place.
- Lumineers are ultra-thin coverings that are applied directly to the teeth. They are made of porcelain, which makes them strong and durable. It also means that you can go for long periods of time without needing them replaced.
- Lumineers don’t require shots or drilling. So, they are a very convenient option for patients who feel nervous about going to the dentist.
- A traditional drill may leave metal margins on your teeth. With a lumineer, no metal is used. This means no dark lines along your gum line.
- Lumineers can be applied in one or two dental visits.
- Lumineers are made to last for years without losing luster or becoming discolored. This makes them an excellent solution for patients who want to invest in their smiles.
- Lumineers have a success rate of over 96 percent.
- Lumineers look natural, so most people won’t even realize you’ve had work done.
- Lumineers require no anesthesia as there is no drilling required.
How are lumineers placed?
A dental professional can place lumineers during a single appointment. The dentist first prepares the teeth by buffing them. A dental impression is taken of the prepped teeth and sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication. The dental lab creates the lumineers, and the process is completed by the dentist bonding the lumineers to the teeth.
Edward Shluper DDS, located at Mountain Lakes, NJ, has expert dentists and the latest technologies that enable the best dental care for patients. Dial (973) 743-5432 to book an appointment with the dentist and to know more about dental veneers and other services provided.